While we are in the midst of an unprecedented economic crisis, local economic and workforce developers are moving quickly to respond. Around the country, the Department of Labor has released funds for “lay-off aversion,” i.e. to help small firms keep their employees on the job. In Virginia, we are trying to get these funds out the door quickly to address immediate business challenges. If you happen to reside in either Arlington or Alexandria, Virginia, please check out the opportunity noted below. Other jurisdictions in Virginia and around the US are also offering such grants. These are quick turnaround opportunities: the money will be dispersed quickly, but you need to apply this week! This is a limited program for now, but we can expect more follow on efforts soon. Program details are below. Stay safe and stay healthy!
The Alexandria/Arlington Emergency Layoff Aversion Assistance Program will award 11 grants to local small businesses who require financial assistance in order to retain their workforce during the COVID-19 emergency.
How the Program Works
- Participating businesses or non-profit organizations with employees located in Alexandria City and Arlington County that has 250 or fewer employees.
- Fill out and submit the Emergency Layoff Aversion Assistance Program application at https://workforcecouncil.arlingtonva.us/covid19/.
- Application requests shall not exceed $7,500. Smaller requests are encouraged.
- Decisions for funding approval will be made by March 30, 2020 at 5pm. Grants will be awarded to applicants who can save the largest number of jobs.
Examples of Acceptable Use of Funding
Layoff aversion funds could be used for innovative strategies to maintain business operations, including, but not limited to:
- Hiring a cleaning/sanitization service.
- The purchase of software/online programs that employees would need to use from home to support their work.
- The purchase of remote access supplies, including laptop computers and/or smart phones, which the employees would need to use from home to support their work.
- The purchase of an online sales platform to sell services virtually so that existing staff roles can be repurposed for order fulfillment.
Application Deadline: 5pm EST, March 27, 2020.
For full requirements and to apply, https://workforcecouncil.arlingtonva.us/covid19/.